Friday, December 30, 2011

YOUR BULLDOG DRINKS CHAMPAGNE BUT CAN HE SURF? (Or, THE LORD OF DOGTOWN!)

.


D-d-d-dog, dog, dog
D-d-dog is the word!

D-d-d-dog, dog, dog
D-d-dog is the word!

Do you know what “bulldogging” is?

Well, it’s an event you’d find in a rodeo but it does not involve bulls or dogs. (Google it.)

Do you know who “Bill Doggett” was?

He wasn’t a bulldogger, but he was damn good at what he did. (Google him.)

Do you know the song “Your Bulldog Drinks Champagne”? It’s extremely funny. (Google it, then get some champagne before New Year’s Eve arrives.)

Can you explain the term “hotdogging”?

It’s an old expression for someone who does a lot of fancy tricks while riding a surfboard.

Have you heard the instrumental “Surfdoggin’”?

It’s something Gary Hoey recorded for the surfing movie “Endless Summer II” in which I think he may have invented a new musical genre (a combination of surf guitar and country pickin’.)

Have you ever been to “Dogtown”?

That’s where I grew up in the 1970s. To be hyper-specific, Dogtown is that area of southern Santa Monica and northern Venice - pretty much where those two Los Angeles communities meet. I grew up right in the heart of it (in Santa Monica, two blocks from Venice) and there was a time when I used to ride my bicycle right down Rose Avenue to the beach, four or five days a week before work, just for the exercise. Ahh, those were golden days!

The Dogtown area was kind of symbolized by the abandoned, dilapidated (and now long gone) Pacific Ocean Park pier (or POP). As a teenager, I actually spent some nights guarding that pier from vandals while it was being dismantled.

In the mid-1970s, a group of young surfers in Dogtown - later known as The Z-Boys - started the whole skateboarding culture that eventually took the country by storm. My Brother and Sister went to school with one of them (Jay Adams) and my good friend Eric once shared a hospital room with one of them (Tony Alva), and Eric told me that the steady stream of hot girls coming to visit his roommate in that hospital was utterly unbelievable!

Several movies have been made about those dudeguys and the skateboarding craze that they started. One of those movies is titled “Lords Of Dogtown”.

This morning, my dear friend the Flying Aardvark sent me a link to a YouTube video that I absolutely love! I’ve watched it three times now and it has made me laugh every single time.

Maybe your bulldog drinks champagne, but can he surf? This video gives new meaning to the expression “Dogtown Surfer”. In fact, some commenter posted this:

Isn't this dog in ‘Lords of Dogtown’?

This might be the most entertaining video I’ve seen this year. My favorite parts are when the dog is on the skateboard. Watch him, he’s really groovin’ that board back and forth, he’s doin' some serious sidewalk surfin’! And his swaying on that skateboard is perfectly synchronized with the music.

So, I’m closing out 2011 at ‘STUFFS’ with a little gift for y’all: Some sun, sand ‘n’ surf on "a Winter’s day in a deep and dog December". This is where Simon & Garfunkel and The Beach Boys crash into each other, wipeout and meld.

Surfin´ Bulldog (Beach Boys - Surfin´ USA)



Link to the YouTube original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqxTUxzOceE

~ Stephen T. McCarthy

YE OLDE COMMENT POLICY: All comments, pro and con, are welcome. However, ad hominem attacks and disrespectful epithets will not be tolerated (read: "posted"). After all, this isn’t Amazon.com, so I don’t have to put up with that kind of bovine excrement.
.

7 comments:

  1. "I was on summer vacation for about twenty years."

    Personally I plan to stay there.

    Sorry about my blog. I'm working on it with 'blogger' but they don't seem to understand me. Or maybe it's me who doesn't understand them. either way...

    Just gotta love ya Stephen. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>...Just gotta love ya Stephen.

    But surprisingly, some people don't. I know, right? Beats the hell outta me, too!
    [;o)}

    >>...Happy New Year!

    Thanks! Ditto, right back atcha, and U-2.

    Good luck with the blog. (You know, maybe it's just a problem for me and my computer system. Perhaps you should conduct a poll and see if I'm the only one?)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs are the best.

    Hope your New Years is Barkin' great!!

    Sig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to say goodbye to 2012, you Dog-worshipper, you!

    Thanks, and may 2012 be better than you expect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SIG ~
    Thanks! And in return, I hope your New Year is a Great Dane and not one of those little Wiener dogs.


    MR. SHEBOYGANBOY McSIXBROTHER ~
    I thanks ya! And, yep, you'z right as rain: I do loves me a doG.

    May YOUR New Year be TWICE as good as my outrageously and unbelievably grand, superstupendous, colossally far-out and groovy New Year!

    (Oh, crap. You know it's going to be a lousy year when it's barely an hour old and I've already used the word "groovy"! Shit, we're screw'd. Bring on the Mayans and let's just get it over with!)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes. Good old Dogtown. It's all a *little* bit before my time, but you don't grow up in Southern California without hearing ALL about the Z-Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KAREN ~
    Yeah, Dogtown was very much about my era and geographical upbringing. Actually, the Z-Boys were all a shade younger than I was - by a year or two - but my Bro and Sis shared Samohi classes with some of 'em. And as I wrote, by good ol' buddy Eric shared a hospital room with one of 'em.

    You mentioned Garden Grove in one of your December posts. Is that where you live?

    Before my family moved to Santa Monica in the Summer of '69, we too lived in Garden Grove.

    From probably First Grade through Fifth Grade, I lived at 14421 Ward Street in Garden Grove, between Hazard Ave. and Westminster Blvd.

    We used to love going to Atlantis Play Center park. Do you know where that is?

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.